Chattanooga 70.3 - 4th

So Chattanooga was a race I just wanted to tick off. With such a disrupted lead up with a cracked bike frame 4 weeks before the race, a stomach virus 2 weeks before the race, and a cracked handlebar once I arrived in Tennessee, I was just relieved and excited to toe the start line! Basically the gameplan leading into the race was to limit the damage from the gun. Not the way I wanted to race in my first US race, but it the only way I was going to finish with a sound result.

This was the first race I was able to do aboard my new Giant Trinity. That was super exciting for me and I can't thank the crew at Giant Sydney enough for all their help in getting the bike ready for me in time to take on my US trip! Here are a few photos of the new bike:





I swam quite comfortably in the front group, and rode quite comfy with the front guys also. There was one athlete who broke away but I just wanted to save my legs as best I could!

I hit the run quite comfy but after 5mins I started cramping. I went from equal 2nd to 7th when I had to stop for 1-2mins and settle the cramps down. I can only put this down due to a lack of time on the bike recently.

The cramp eventually subsided and I was able to get running again where I caught up to third, but with a couple of Km to go I got passed and finished in 4th.

To be completely honest, I was very disappointed as I think this could have been so much more than what it was with the form I was in 4 weeks before the race, but with the way things worked out, I am proud to have hung tough and finished in fourth.



I am now in Boulder, Colorado and doing it tough in the lack of oxygen up here! Already starting to feel a lot better in training and I am hoping this will give me a bit of an edge for my next race, Calgary 70.3 on 23rd July.

Cheers,
Rochey

This entry was posted on Tuesday, 11 July 2017. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply