Race report: Yeppoon 70.3


Yeppoon was my second attempt at the Half Ironman distance. I learnt a lot from Cairns which I have been incorporating into my training, and I was pretty keen to race.

I had a less than ideal preparation into the race. I knew I was going in a bit underdone but was excited to give it a go and learn more about how to race over the distance against a quality field.

I felt average on race morning, and I definitely felt it in the swim. The swim was 1.9km point to point swim straight down the beach. I had a good start but struggled to find my stroke. I was able to hang on to the back of the front pack, but just couldn’t get comfortable the whole way. Despite how I was feeling, I was happy to exit the water in 5th with the main players.

After a slow transition I was on the bike. The bike course was 5x 18 km laps on fairly rough roads. I rode up to the front group of 3 other riders. Tim Reed attacked the bike from the start and built up a massive lead. Tim Berkel also went on a solo mission to catch Reedy and he also put a few minutes into our group. However Berkel got an arguable penalty for blocking and had to spend 5 minutes in the penalty box at the end of the ride.
By about the 70km mark a group of about 4 other pros caught up to our group.  Our group of about 8 athletes then got off the bike together with a big run developing. Berkel was still in the box so we headed out in second place.
I was running strong with Michael Fox early on in the run but once we hit the trails after abut 4kms I started to cramp really badly in both legs. I had to stop and try to stretch it out a bit, loosing a lot of time and positions. I was able to run through it but I was on the verge of cramping up the whole run. I managed to pick up the pace and some positions late in the run and finish in 6th.
Looking back at the race, I am really happy to say that I got my nutrition right – the major lesson I learnt from Cairns. I think the cramps in the run were due pushing harder on the bike than I was ready for.

This race showed a lot of improvement since my first attempt, however I believe there is still a lot of improvement to be made. Congrats to Tim Reed, Tim Berkel and Adam Gordon on the podium.

Next up for me is Sunshine Coast 70.3 on September 15th.

As always, I would like to thank my coach Tim Reed, Trent from Adidas, UTS Sports Union and Shannon from Active Bodies Physio


Rochey

This entry was posted on Thursday, 22 August 2013. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply